A note from Kristen & Anne
Happy Mother’s Day to all! Sending a virtual hug to all our amazing South School moms. We hope you are enjoying a wonderful day!
South School is riding high on positive energy with so many events occurring over the past two weeks. Teacher Appreciation Week, Book Fair, Field Trips, a Performing Arts Assembly featuring “Infinite Roots,” a new Shed for the Garden, the final session of Kids Care, and the delivery of “Ozobots and Dash & Dot Robots” for our STEAM initiative – just to name a few! Parents, we have received so many wonderful thank you notes from our teachers for all these efforts and we wanted to share a few.
“Once again the PTC has outdone itself. We teachers are so thankful for all you do for us. [Teacher Appreciation Week] has been amazing!…Everything was so well done, right down to the smallest details…Please share my gratitude with the entire organization. I know how much these dedicated parents take care of us.”
“I just wanted to let you know how much the students (and I) are enjoying the Ozobots and the Dash & Dot robots you purchased. They love learning how to program the Ozobots using different colored markers and seeing the effects of color patterns…Next, they will be using apps on the iPad to create codes for these little robots. It’s a great learning experience for them that will help them understand the fundamentals of programming and build a foundation for them moving forward.
“Thank you so much for a wonderful week of appreciation! It was so great coming into work knowing that something special was going to happen. I really enjoyed the Superhero surprise from yesterday. Reading all those cute sayings from the kids really made me smile…It was greatly appreciated.”
“I want to extend a most heartfelt thank you for an incredible display of teacher appreciation. It was beyond generous – everything was amazingly supportive and thoughtful! I loved the compilation of comments from my students! It was so special, I laminated it and it’s on display in my room!”
“I was overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and generosity. Thank you for all that you do.”
As mentioned in the last STAR, your parent contributions made our week long Superhero themed Teacher Appreciation possible, so thank you again! It was a PAWESOME collaboration all around.
We also had our spring Scholastic Book Fair this week that was such a treat for each class. It is like having a customized book store right in your school and it happens twice a year! And on May 18, Dan Gutman, author of the NY Times best-selling series “My Weird School” will be visiting South School!
As noted above, our Garden Club is installing a new shed to house all of their equipment. We are so grateful for our Garden Team and their amazing work. If you have not seen the garden, please take a peek on your next trip to South! We are pioneers in the District as we are the first school garden of this size to be constructed. It is well-loved and offers a wonderful complement to our curriculum.
Finally, our new program, Kids Care, continued their focus on community service and kindness. This session consisted of making craft kits for the Yale Children’s hospital, lunches for the Open Door Shelter in Norwalk, and decorating the sidewalks outside of South as ambassadors of our planet to encourage and inform their peers to be kind to our environment.
We are nearing the end of the year but there are still many events to come so let’s keep our positive vibes flowing!!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Kristen and Anne
Special Thanks To…..
for putting on an amazing Variety Show! They and all the volunteers dedicated so many hours to helping our kids perform!
Melissa Baker, Maria Nikeas, and AnnMarie Valente and all our South School parents for showing our teachers and staff we appreciate them for the “superheroes” they are during Staff Appreciation Week!
Jera Flood, Andrea Reid, Nora Petrovich, Karen Elvin, and Morgan Dell’Aquilla for running a terrific “Paws for Books” Spring Book Fair and adding so many fun touches to make the week extra special.
Michelle Marti and Rebecca Paniwozik for kicking off an amazing first year of Kids Care!
New to South School? Welcome
If you are new to South School this year, please feel free to reach out to your child’s grade level ambassador. Each grade has a parent ambassador who is happy to help you acclimate to New Canaan and South School. Please reach out with any questions! Click here learn more.
Upcoming School Events
News from the PTC
What You Need to Know
PTC 2017 – 2018 Calendar of Events
The South School PTC organizes and coordinates a wide array of school programs, social events and much more for the student and parent community. We would love to see you at an upcoming occasion soon!
Ten Reasons To Get Involved At South
1. Volunteering makes a big difference. Research consistently shows that kids whose parents are involved in their schools do better.
2. It’s fun! Even simple events like Walk to School Day or Game Night are a great way to spend time with your family and support your school.
3. It feels great to participate! Your child spends a lot of time at school, and it’s great to share some of her school-related experiences with her.
4. You’ll get to know other parents. It’s powerful to create a circle of adult friends around a school, and help foster connections between families in your community.
5. Volunteering offers tangible ways to be part of things. Joining a parent group will provide concrete ways to get involved, whether at events, in the classroom, or on a committee.
6. It’s a manageable commitment. Spend an hour at Bingo night or Book Fair, and your efforts will be appreciated. And remember, it’s always OK to say no when you’re busy.
7. You can tailor volunteering to play to your strengths. There are many ways to contribute, some of which are sure to complement your strengths, interests, or professional skills.
8. Your help is always needed. Whether it’s helping run the next big event or providing support in the classroom, there are always ways to pitch in.
9. Volunteering provides another way to get to know school and support staff to better understand their needs and ideas.
10. Have a great idea? Volunteering gives you opportunities to get your ideas out there.
Shop for South
Who wouldn’t shop on Amazon or order their holiday cards on Shutterfly if they knew it would help support South? Who doesn’t shop at Walter Stewart’s and Stop & Shop? Now you can shop for products that you use and love, while supporting the South School PTC. Think of it as GUILT-FREE shopping and couldn’t be any easier! Spread the word to your friends and families and their purchases can benefit our school too!