A note from Kristen & Anne
Have a Great Summer!
We would like to thank all those who volunteered their time, creativity, and energy this year to make South School such a great community for our children to learn and grow!
We would also like to thank all those who have stepped up to chair one of our programs or events next year. We could not be the greatest school in town without you! Please take a peek at the list of these wonderful volunteers and all we have in store for next year. If you are looking for a way to get involved, please contact Anne or Carrie at email@example.com.
Before we break for summer, mark your calendars for our PTC Welcome Back Coffee on September 5 at 9:15 a.m. at Waveny House. It will be a great chance to meet new friends or connect with old ones. We will also have sign-ups for all of our programs and events. Please be on the lookout for our summer e-blast going out in August which will be filled with everything you need to know to have a strong start to the school year!
Here is a look at the first few months of school so you can save the dates in advance!
10:15-10:45 a.m. Meet the Teacher Day / Classroom Visits (Grades 1-4)
10:45-11:30 a.m. New to South Popsicle playdate (Gr 1-4) @ Lower Playground
10:30-11:30 a.m. Kindergarten Meet the Teacher / Classroom Visits (Half class)
8:15 a.m. First Day for Kindergarten Students
No School (Labor Day)
9:15 a.m. Welcome Back Coffee @ Waveny House
No School (Rosh Hashanah)
6:30-8:30 p.m. Open House – K, 1st & 2nd
6:00-8:00 p.m. New to South & Kindergarten Parent Social @ Roger Sherman
3:00-5:00 p.m. Fall Family Gathering @ Lower Field (Rain Date 9/23)
No School (Yom Kippur)
6:30-8:30 p.m. Open House – 3rd & 4th Grade
Have a Pawesome Summer!
Anne & Carrie
Melissa Coffman, Nancy Roeder, and Anne Schimmeck for chairing the Fourth Grade Celebration and all the committee members and volunteers who made the day such an amazing and fun event.
Michelle Cardone, Alison Swierz, Kristin Barnard, Maria Magliacano, and Ann Jordan for all their work in photography throughout the year, design of the Memory Book, and distribution. The Memory Book would not be possible without this amazing team. Thank you for this great keepsake for our children!
New to South School? Welcome
If you are new to South School this year, please feel free to reach out to your child’s grade level ambassador. Each grade has a parent ambassador who is happy to help you acclimate to New Canaan and South School. Please reach out with any questions! Click here learn more.
Upcoming School Events
News from the PTC
What You Need to Know
PTC 2017 – 2018 Calendar of Events
The South School PTC organizes and coordinates a wide array of school programs, social events and much more for the student and parent community. We would love to see you at an upcoming occasion soon!
Ten Reasons To Get Involved At South
1. Volunteering makes a big difference. Research consistently shows that kids whose parents are involved in their schools do better.
2. It’s fun! Even simple events like Walk to School Day or Game Night are a great way to spend time with your family and support your school.
3. It feels great to participate! Your child spends a lot of time at school, and it’s great to share some of her school-related experiences with her.
4. You’ll get to know other parents. It’s powerful to create a circle of adult friends around a school, and help foster connections between families in your community.
5. Volunteering offers tangible ways to be part of things. Joining a parent group will provide concrete ways to get involved, whether at events, in the classroom, or on a committee.
6. It’s a manageable commitment. Spend an hour at Bingo night or Book Fair, and your efforts will be appreciated. And remember, it’s always OK to say no when you’re busy.
7. You can tailor volunteering to play to your strengths. There are many ways to contribute, some of which are sure to complement your strengths, interests, or professional skills.
8. Your help is always needed. Whether it’s helping run the next big event or providing support in the classroom, there are always ways to pitch in.
9. Volunteering provides another way to get to know school and support staff to better understand their needs and ideas.
10. Have a great idea? Volunteering gives you opportunities to get your ideas out there.
Shop for South
Who wouldn’t shop on Amazon or order their holiday cards on Shutterfly if they knew it would help support South? Who doesn’t shop at Walter Stewart’s and Stop & Shop? Now you can shop for products that you use and love, while supporting the South School PTC. Think of it as GUILT-FREE shopping and couldn’t be any easier! Spread the word to your friends and families and their purchases can benefit our school too!